We had a problem with three HP Desktop PCs in the same company where the CD/DVD was not seen in Windows 10. When the DVD/CD-ROM drives was checked in Device Manager to see the state of the drivers and any error codes, there was no entry for DVD/CD-ROM drives to be seen.
On investigation, we found and applied the following fix that resulted in the problem being fixed. Taken from the Microsoft “Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs“.
Remove and reinstall IDE/ATAPI drivers
To remove and reinstall IDE/ATAPI driver, follow these steps:
- From Start, search for Device Manager (Found in Control Panel also). Open the Device Manager from the search results, and select the View menu.
- Choose Show Hidden Devices.
- Expand IDE/ATAPI Controllers by Clicking on “>”, and then:
- Select and right-click ATA Channel 0, and then click Uninstall
- Select and right-click ATA Channel 1, and then click Uninstall
- Select and right-click Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, and then click Uninstall
- If there are any additional entries within IDE/ATAPI Controllers, right-click them and then choose Uninstall
- Restart/Reboot the PC.
After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.